Tuesday 23 February 2010

Wearable, right now!

Two things have stuck in my mind of late when it comes to fashion. One of which is an important or pertinent theme when it comes to personal fashion purchases. The theme mainly goes like this, only buy things you really love, and these fall mainly into the designer or non mainstream high street world. Plus never throw anything, designer, or an item you love, out. WendyB is the major proponent of the never get rid of your designer pieces and buy quality. Whilst Disneyrollergirl is of the, not buying things off the high street and making key quality piece purchases, ilk. Both of them have a wonderful sense of personal style and are living proof this theme is of much use. (Btw Disneyrollergirl love, love loved your black trench)

The other matter is the desirability of selling. The sad fact is that brand Alexander McQueen was in debt to the tune of probably 32 million euros, now this is not unusual in the world of luxury goods, it was years before Stella McCartney turned a profit. But with two parent companies fighting it out(LVMH and PPR) wearable collections are a big factor in sustaining a designer in the luxe market. Whilst LFW is all about the cool and not all about the big houses, it is ultimately about desire and being able to envisage wearing the garments.

Richard Nicoll is striking the right balance between fashion(able) and wear(ability). He either knows what women want to wear or what buyers want to buy. His show was reminiscent of Marc Jacobs in the simple colour palette and a reliance on cut and drape rather than the spectacle. His show is becoming something of reliable and desirable element in sustaining the worth of LFW on the fashion map.



Richard Nicoll images:style.com

10 comments:

  1. I think fashion is never about practicality , I spent my whole 20's splashing out on what I thought made me look good. Now in my (late) 30's I have seen the light and only choose key pieces for my wardrobe. Fashion to me is the pursuit of fantasy for the wearer - and what woman wouldn't want that in their lives. But it is an industry that has to make money in order to survive. Galliano went bust several times. Westwood had lots of money problems. Its a cycle - labels do go on after the death of their designer - I'm thinking of Versace and Moschino who both had their lives cut too short. Rather than the revival of Lanvin and Balmain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there-another inspiring and fab post, I'm trying to 'shop my wardrobe' this year and cut down on unnecessary purchases. I'll still pick up wow pieces from the boot sales and charity shops, but I'm trying hard not to pick up just anything anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love that top outfit! Why are these fashion houses in such debt, with the amount of business backing they have I just wonder how this happens?
    Fashion has currently failed me, I'm lucky these days if I can find anything that thrills me (oh and that I can afford).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm stuck in between not wanting to spend money on cheap crap and not being able to afford the expensive high quality pieces. But I do agree with you that fewer, better, more wearable pieces which go beyond fashion are far better in ones wardrobe than many high fashion pieces. Hopefully with guidance from your lovely blog I'll get there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you knew the stuff I have sold on ebay in the past, tons of "IT" bags, a long Missoni cardigan etc etc, I really wish I hadn't done it now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could grown up and only investment buy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a trade and exchange approch, I buy something and if it doesnt work out for me it goes on eBay. That way I dont have to worry so much if that investment buy turns out to be a mistake. As thats the problem isnt it, investment pieces can be expensive, and as much as you think a purchase through, sometimes it just doesnt suit you, is uncomfortable etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely items .. love the coloursxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a great post. wendy b has a vair covetable wardrobe too.

    xx fayoona
    http://saveourshoes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore the trouser's but being so short I would smin in them. The white print top is cute too. xx


    http://thatssoyestreday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated. Sorry about no longer offering anonymous comments but spamming had become a very annoying issue. xxx